Friday, March 27, 2015

Yummy Turkey Meatloaf

Now meatloaf can be a questionable dinner choice. I grew up hating meat loaf. I'm not sure if it was the mystery meat in it or if I was just freaked out by a log of meat. It certainly was not my first choice for a meal.  A few years ago my fiance asked me to make a meatloaf. Lets just say I was sweating bullets. How can I make a meal for someone when I loath the final product? I had recently bought a "Cooking Light" magazine which had a healthy turkey meatloaf recipe in it (originally from Good Housekeeping). Well I figured, I will try to be healthy, I will eat just about anything that can help me loose weight and what do you know I LOVED IT! It was the perfect zest and heartiness. It was filling, delicious and healthy!

Ingredients:
1 tsp olive oil
2 medium celery stalks, finely chopped
1 small onion, chopped
1/2 tsp minced garlic (or 1 chopped garlic clove)
2 lb lean ground turkey
1/4 cup fresh whole wheat bread crumbs (from 1 1/2 slices of bread)
1/3 cup skim milk (I used unsweetened almond milk)
2 egg whites
1/2 cup ketchup, divided
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
Salt and Pepper
1 tbsp Dijon Mustard

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In a medium non stick skillet, cook the oil on medium heat and add the chopped onions and celery. Cook for 8-10 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir occasionally.
Add the garlic and cook for an additional 1 minute. Transfer the veggies to a bowl to cool slightly.
In the bowl the the cooked vegetables, add the bread crumbs, ground turkey, milk, egg whites, 1/4 cup ketchup, Worcestershire sauce (I like to add an extra tablespoon for some extra flavor), salt, pepper. (I also recently started adding Italian seasoning to the mix).
Mix all ingredients with hands until well combined but not over mixed. Transfer the loaf to a baking sheet and form into the shape of a log. In a small bowl mix the remaining ketchup and Dijon mustard. Spread the ketchup mix over the loaf.
Bake the loaf for 55-60 minutes or until an internal thermometer reaches 160 degrees F. Let loaf sit 10 minutes before serving! Enjoy!

No comments: